Friday, September 14, 2012

Ikea Latt Makeover

With a toddler birthday quickly approaching, my time was short this week. I still found a little time to fit in my Pinterest Challenge project.

My goal was to take this table, the Ikea Latt, we got for our son for his birthday...
And transform it into less of an eye soar. These Pinterest Pins were my inspirations this week (Pinned courtesy from my friend Bridget Tanega)...



I actually took a little from each pin. From the first pin, I loved the idea of the bar with the baskets hanging off for art supplies. From the second pin, I loved the idea of a chalkboard top (at least I'm assuming it is chalkboard paint). And from the last pin, I loved the idea of staining it to match the room it was in. 

Thanks to this week's Pinterest Pins, this is my final project:
The total cost of this project was about $35.00. The Ikea Latt table cost $19.99, the Ikea Bygel bar was $2.99, the Ikea Bygel containers are $0.99 each, the chalk board spray paint was $7.99 at Michael's (I used a 50% off coupon, making it $4.00), and the stain was about $4.00 at Home Depot (which I already had). 

While working on this project and discussing it with my friend Bridget, we struck genius. I told her I needed to get sticky felt sliders for under the table so it wouldn't scratch the floor. Then she suggested to hot glue felt to the bottom of the table and chairs!!!! What a great and super cheap idea. A piece of white felt at Michael's is $0.20 (I had black felt on hand), and you can probably get about 100 felt squares out of one sheet. Genius! I will never pay $3.00 for a set of 8 sticky felt sliders again!
I absolutely love the way the table came out. I had a little trouble with the spray paint being uneven, but once it dries it was less noticeable. And I don't think this guy minds, he just loves his new table.  I will chalk this up as a Pinterest Success.



No comments:

Post a Comment