Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cars themed Cookie Pop Favors

My final Cars Pinspiration I am going to share are the favors. I wanted something not too expensive or too difficult to make, since there was going to be a large number of people.

I was Pinterest inspired by this Pinterest Pin. It was super easy and pretty cute, until I found it impossible to find large lollipops at a reasonable price.
So I decided to try my hand at cookie Pops. I found a circle cookie pan at Michael's for $5.00 (with my 50% off coupon). And found a Pinterest Recipe for Sugar Cookies. Here.
Cookie Pop recipe:

Ingredients - 
1/2 cup of butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup of vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
4" - 6" craft sticks (I used 6")

Beat butter and shortening together with an electric mixer until it is fluffy, then add sugars. Once well beat; add eggs, oil, vanilla and blend well. 

Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tarter to the above mixture. Cover and chill for at least to hours (I left it overnight). 

Once dough is ready, fill greased cookie pan with the dough, put the stick in the pan (make sure the stick is well covered with dough), bake at 350 degrees for 13 - 16 minutes. 

Let the cookies cool, then put them on a cooling rack. If the cookies are sticking to the pan, you are not greasing them enough. 

I actually made 4 batches of this recipe and it yielded a little more than 5 dozen large cookie pops. 
The cookie pops had a cake like taste, they weren't very sugar cookie tasting, more like shortbread. They were not the best sugar cookies, but I did get a lot of complements. I also really like my sweets sweet. So I'm not the best judge.

I did add cookie icing to the cookies and made a lightning bolt, for Lightning McQueen of course. This recipe was from a cook book, not from Pinterest. Sorry. It is a really easy recipe.

Cookie Icing Recipe:

Ingredients - 
1 cup of sifted powdered sugar (I am a rebel and did not sift)
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of milk or orange juice (I used a little milk and water)

Combine all the ingredients and add food coloring of your choice. I like to use wilton gel coloring because it's what I use to color all of my other icing. 

Here is the lightning bolt view of the Car themed cookie pop favors. 
The favors came out great, and I guess tasted Ok too. So it's another Pinterest Success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment